There are a number of education fairs coming up in the UAE and you should be "working" them. Fairs are perfect opportunities to meet representatives from your favorite colleges and business schools. "Working" a fair means that you go prepared to leave an impression on whomever you meet. More specifically, the university representative should go back telling her colleagues that she met a great student in Dubai (you!) that would be a good fit for the program. Here's how to work an education fair:
1. Do your homework. Visit the fair or conference website to get a list of the university or MBA programs attending. Select the schools you want to talk to. Visit those schools' websites to get an idea about the programs they offer. You should find at least one course, activity, or aspect of the university that excites you. Take notes.
2. Dress appropriately. You should wear business casual clothes to the fair. Check out the examples below to see what business casual means for high school students. If you're a business school applicant, you already know what we're talking about.
3. Go at the right time. The best times to go to an education fair or conference are at the end of the first day and on the second day. For a three day conference, many representatives will end early on or skip the last day to catch their flights. Going at the end of the fair won't make you the last person they meet; it makes you the most forgettable person they met.
4. Be assertive. Since you'll come well-dressed and with questions in mind, step up and talk to the representative. Start with a firm handshake and introduction. Explain your interest in the program and confidently ask your questions. Listen attentively, searching for a topic that may encourage conversation. To leave an impression, you should talk for at least 3 minutes. Don't forget to talk about yourself a bit. The easiest way is to explain your background and ask if they think you would be a good fit for the school.
5. Get a business card. Be sure you get the representative's business card so you can email them later with additional questions or if you need help during the application process. A nice personal touch is to email them after the fair stating it was a pleasure to meet them and you have decided to apply to the program.
Attended an education fair and know where you want to go but need help applying? APPLY ME offers comprehensive admissions consulting services to help you throughout the application process. Check out the details here or just email us to schedule a FREE consultation!